Le Grand Bornand

Questions and information regarding aires in France and other places to park up and stay over

Re: Le Grand Bornand

Unread postby badge » Sat Feb 09, 2013 20:02

by fairytooth » 09 Feb 2013 18:30

Just to add a few comments for anyone going to 'LGB' this season 2012-13, massive snow there at the moment. Camping L'Escale highly recommended for winter motorhoming, nice heated pool, wifi, etc. Not too expensive but ACSI card not valid til around May. The Aire just up the road from Escale not up to much just somewhere to stopover if you are fully self sufficient, or pay to use Escale water, etc. The village of Le Grand Bornand is very nice. Good Pizza restaurant in the centre.

Up the road at Chinaillon better location to access the slopes, Aire for 'motorhomes only' at very top. Coming up the hill from LGB, turn right after all the hairpin bends following signs for ski area. It is one way, follow road all the way up past the ticket offices and Aire is at end just before going left over bridge and short hill up to Chinaillon village. The only free water I have found is in public toilets at rear of tourist information in Chinaillon village. The Aire isn't totally level but not bad and very near tickets and lifts.

Thanks for the great info fairytooth , were heading to LGB on thursday for a week , any tips would be great , can you getting water to fill inboard tanks at le escale , were booked in there ???
Also do you have any tips on the route down from ferry crossing , any advice is welcomed ,,,,
thanks Paul
badge

Unread postby fairytooth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 20:16

Hi Paul, I think you are expected to pay for water useage at l'Eascale but you could always stay over for one night when you need a top up and electricity or if you are naughty drive in at lunchtime when the reception is closed (12-2). Funnily enough we are headed over on Thursday too via the Eurotunnel. We avoid the tolls and go Calais-Lille-Luxembourg-Nancy-Besancon-Annecy. If you have Camping Cheques there is a good stopover campsite at Tellin in Belgium (Parc de Clos or something like that).

When you get near don't try to take a short cut via Col de Columbiers D12 from Bonneville as it will be closed, go around via Annecy which is nice and has a few Aires (one at the top end of the lake is convenient) then its about another 40mins form there via Thones.

Let me know if you want any more info. Have fun ! Graham
fairytooth

Unread postby badge » Sat Feb 09, 2013 22:07

Thanks Graham for all your info , we're staying at le escale all week , so water shouldn't be a problem , do they have it per pitch , or is it a mission to get ,
We come off the ferry @ 11.45 pm thursday night , planning on driving for a few hours then grabbing some sleep , any recommendations for a stop over ??.
Do you travel down with your inboard tank filled ( as in water) , or is it best to fill up further down .
1st trip skiing in motorhome , i take it normal electrical hook up is good to use ??.

in your opinion , how much gas did you normally use ?

thanks paul
badge

Unread postby fairytooth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 23:17

OK, a couple of things to bear in mind. We always carry water in the tank onboard - just don't go overweight. Finding water enroute can be a challenge in cold weather as they often turn off taps to stop freezing. Take extra bottled water to be on the safe side. Cemeteries are always a good bet to find a working tap. I think l'Escale uses the Euro connector for EHU but I would recommend having a 2 pin french adaptor handy anyway. It will come in useful. You can get them most places including Halfords. Don't worry about polarity issues you may read about - hardly ever a problem in reality. Water is from the motorhome service point on the site. Extra taps are always disconnected this time of year.

We often stock up in Calais and get our heads down just out of town near Sangatte . There is a great little car park just by beach huts tucked away between the road and the beach head. (50.951682,1.771878 on Google Maps). Otherwise there is an Aire at Gravelines if you are going that way.
fairytooth

Unread postby fairytooth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 23:24

We carry 2 big Gaslow LPG cylinders and they seem to last us easily for a few weeks. If you don't have refillable gas bottles then you might want to take a spare or 2. Otherwise you will be buying an adaptor for the French Calor Gas propane I think. Butane isn't really an option in cold weather as it can freeze apparently.
fairytooth

Unread postby andyinspain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 13:49

Hi, We stopped there last January 2012 at the campsite, a great location with bus included to the ski lifts from the camp, nice pool but a little chilly for me but then again we do come from Spain.
andyinspain

Unread postby andyinspain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 13:56

Hi We took an oil filled rad with us last year and left it all all day on low when skiing it keeps the camper nice and warm for when you return, also take a lock so you can lock your ski gear up in the lockers provided at the campsite.
andyinspain

Previous

Return to Aires