Motorhome camping in the alps

Questions and information regarding aires in France and other places to park up and stay over

Motorhome camping in the alps

Unread postby travelbug3 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:02

My wife and I and our 10 year old daughter are planning a ski trip in december / january to France,Italy,Austria,and switzerland in a hired motorhome (winterised !) will spend 7 weeks travelling with at least 3 weeks in the alps. I have read lots of posts of people staying in motorhomes in the alps and others say no way, too cold. We're coming from Australia, and have motorhomed through New Zealand in winter with no problems. Are the roads to the alps suitable for a MH? Are the aires /camping groundsclose to the resorts? Is it just too cold to stay in a MH in the alps? Are we crazy for even thinking of doing this? Should we MH around the coast and use rail and apartments while in the alps?
Appreciate any advice as finding it hard to plan from oz.
travelbug3

Re: Motorhome camping in the alps

Unread postby Barney2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 19:47

Hi Travelbug
Yep for sure you can travel/stay in a motorhome in the Alps -that is pretty much what this site is for
Great way to see the Alps - go for it =
If you ask specific questions you will get more replies - choose the van carefully - winter tyres and chains will be needed
Hope this helps
Steve
Barney2

Return to Aires