Aires

Questions and information regarding aires in France and other places to park up and stay over

Aires

Unread postby Charlie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 15:53

Hi there

Has anyone been to la Tania aire? I am ooking to spend 10 days to ski in France, looking at this fab website LaTania looks brilliant for sking and the aire is located so close to the ski area but i can't seem to see anywhere on line to book the motorhome pitch.
Is it possible to book a pitch at an aire or are they all roll up and see if there is space? Anyone ever been to this area? or any other recommendations or tips gladly received.

From a very novic motorhomer!!

Thanks Charlie
Charlie

Re: Aires

Unread postby derek » Tue Nov 10, 2009 17:58

Hi worked a season on la tania two years ago and there were vans there fo the season. Its amatter of rolling up I think. lovely resort and yuo cna use the pool in one of the hotels for a clean up for a few euros I believe.
derek

Unread postby skiingorangecar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 21:06

Hi charlie,
We tried to stay at this aire last season in late feb early march 09 and there was no space left so we went to meribel ,only a few miles
away.We stayed in the carpark at la rafort right next to the last stop before the top on the lift up from Bride le bain.Great place to stop,the bus stopped right
out the car park and if there is plenty of snow you can ski right back down to the carpark.We got no hassel and stayed for a week,the carpark was realativly
quiet and best of all free.I think you would aways get a parking spot here,there was four other vans in the park at the time and one was there for the season.
Hope this has helped .cheers mike
skiingorangecar

Unread postby Charlie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 19:57

Hi Mike

Thanks for your help we're planning to try LaTania not sure how lucky we'll be on Christmas eve! If full we'll take your tip and go to Meribel guess there's no electric hook up though? We've got a silent generator do you think it would be appropriate to use it in the car park?
Cheers for now Charlie
Charlie

Unread postby corrob » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:13

Hi all,

I'm also a novice motorhomer and have spent the last 3 weeks insulating our RV - fingers crossed it will keep us warm in La Tania also! Thought I'd jump in on this thread as Charlie's query was the same as mine but I have an additional question...

Could someone clarify for me, when you see the electrical hook up sign, does this mean that there are facilities to hook up for longer term stay or can it also mean that you have access for a limited period? Any way that you can tell? From browsing this site I take it that the motorhome aire at La Tania has hook up facilities but does this mean that you can stay hooked up for the season?

Cheers fellow motorhome skiiers,
C.
corrob

Unread postby skiingorangecar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 23:43

Hi charlie,
Hope you get on the aire at la tanya,if not you would not have a problem using a genarater in the car park at meribel
all the vans were using them when we were there.The aire at meribel is only about 2-3 miles from the aire at la tanya so if you can 't
get on there it not far to travel.
skiingorangecar

Unread postby old git » Fri Nov 27, 2009 13:12

hi everyone things have changed for me in the last few weeks so won't be skiing the whole season.
i will now just go for christmas and new year.
living in france it is easy for me to phone around,and have found that most resorts limit your stay on an aire to one week,
re electrics on aires you normally can only plug in for one hours charge at a time to a coin opperated machine between 2 and 6 E a go.
I have skied La Tania many times and have seen people dragging water on sledges from the machine in the lower car park up to the aire by the lift some 400 yards away.the aire is right next to the lift up 1850 but has no facilities,though there is a wc there open in the day.I telephoned the tourist office yesterday to confirm the above.
but all is not lost there is a new aire at Le Praz just as you exit on the road up to 1850 there is no stay limit and a flotte machine on site.
Le praz is the nice little village you pass through to get to Le Tania and links direct to 1850,and thats where we will be.
old git

Re: Aires.Empty loo

Unread postby rick » Sun Nov 29, 2009 13:49

The main problem to plan for on aires/lift station car parks, is emptying your toilet.You can always carry extra water and electricity.
I take a large, wide neck filler container to decant into or use myself and save the loo for SHMBO(She who must be obeyed).Sometimes resort public loos are locked at night. I have mine strapped up under the M/h in wasted space.

As usual if you have a contingency plan you never need it!!!
rick

Unread postby TommyS » Tue Dec 15, 2009 19:09

A question for the seasoned Aire users. When you leave the aire to go skiing do you leave your gas heater on to keep the motorhome warm. I have been skiing for the last 6 years but always use campsites,connected to electric and leave an electric heater on. I feel happy enough using the gas heater while in the van but am wary about leaving it on while out. I have used the Caravaneige at Le Raffort, and have been very pleased with it.

TommyS
TommyS

Unread postby old git » Tue Dec 15, 2009 19:31

Hi TommyS,
We have used our van lots of times in the cold weather and have always left the gas heater on low whilst out no problem.The only thing you will have to watch out for is if your flue comes out through the roof it doesn't get blocked by snow.
old git

Next

Return to Aires