New Year

Questions and information regarding aires in France and other places to park up and stay over

New Year

Unread postby Kef » Wed Dec 16, 2015 21:30

Were hoping to go to Les Gets for New Year, arriving on 29th Dec, but due to the snow conditions, now having a rethink. What is the possibility of getting onto the aire at Les Menuires? Have tried to book Val Thorens, but not having any luck - looks like it might be fully booked! Any other suggestions please?
Anyone else going out for New Year? If so, where?
Kef

Re: New Year

Unread postby jill » Thu Dec 17, 2015 14:24

We stayed at Les Menuires the 1st week of Feb this year and there was plenty of room. We left on the Saturday which was the first weekend of the French hols and it was filling up quickly. It'll probably be busy though on the 29th.
jill

Unread postby stestock » Wed Dec 23, 2015 20:32

We leave on the 26th we were planning on 2 weeks around Austria booked a couple of nice sites and paid over £100 deposit at both. but due to the lack of snow are seriously considering Norway Been skiing to Norway for new year before but not in motorhome to a place called Vradal small ski area but stunning scenery and lake. Looking at some site costs they seem reasonable £25-30 a night for the 5 of us. I know the drink and eating out is expensive. But my main concern is the small ski areas has any body been motorhome skiing in Norway could do with a few pointers as to resorts and sites and what the conditions are at present not many webcams I can find to check out the snow.
Last year we left the same date and by the time we got to Austria we had 1/2m of fresh snow. tricky driving!!
Or any one in Austria can give me feed back that its still worth the journey with the lack of snow!!!!

thanks
ste
stestock

Unread postby Barney2 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:38

Been skiing in Voss - drove in the car and stayed in a cabin -
Been to several Swedish and Norwegian resorts in the van during the summer - on my mind to try the winter - Needs a bit more preperation - Studded tyres? Temps - can't loose latitude like altitude - so again bit more prep then the Alps We have spent time there in winter but not in our van
Sweden would maybe easier driving option? Oresund Bridge - fast but expensive - cheap ferries from Travemunde
Intersted in how you get on if you go
Barney2

Return to Aires