Chasing the snow in a Motorhome: Strategy

Questions and information regarding the best pistes, off piste, lifts to take and those to avoid.

Chasing the snow in a Motorhome: Strategy

Unread postby likeabonio » Tue Mar 21, 2017 13:59

Our reason for skiing from a MH is so that we can find the freshest powder snow in the Alps.
We are keen off-piste skiers and a MH offers the flexibility to find the best snow and the bluest skies, for less ££ than usual accommodation.
Sounds good huh ?

We've gone for 1 week in mid-March for 2 years now and found only 5-10cm powder on both trips.
We used snow-forecast.com for our planning. I find the past and future forecasting maps for the entire Alps easy to use.

We have been 4 guys both trips.
We stayed at 4 different places both trips.
It's certainly not a relaxing holiday.
Adding to all the considerations/exhaustion of a usual 1 week holiday, we had all the decision-making around the following:
Getting familiar with a new MH, temperature control etc... day by day snow report analysis, Motorhome site facilities, day or 2 day pass purchases, water topups, waste disposal.
Journeys took >1.5 x the time that Google maps estimated for us.

And actually we haven't got the return on amazing snow either time.

Conclusions:
If you arrive in the alps for a week and chase the snow, you may well be able to find the best snow available in that week. Which counts for something.
But both trips we arrived 6-8d after the recent dump of snow.
So actually, it is more important to have flexibility of which week you go out, than to have geographical flexibility in the one week you have planned to go.

I don't think our strategy for finding powder snow is any better than choosing a week in one of the most snow-sure resorts (e.g. Val Thorens, Zermatt, St Anton) and to go in one of the most snow-sure weeks. With the earlier springs I take this to be February.

Alternatively go for a longer time, such as a month.

It can be a cheaper option than usual accommodation- but that depends on lots of things. Rental in UK or alps ?
Comfort level.
likeabonio

Return to Skiing & boarding